Re: [Hampshire] map creation software

Author: Alan Bell
To: edward.beckmann, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] map creation software
I have used touchgraph to map a bunch of related items

http://www.touchgraph.com
http://sourceforge.net/projects/touchgraph

It kind of uses springs and repulsion to position the nodes, they bounce
about and then settle down to an equilibrium position. You can then drag
them about or remove connectors and nodes etc. Looks quite cool, but not
much like the underground map.
I was using it to map out the relationships between documents in an
ISO9000 quality system. The documents were stored in Lotus Notes and I
integrated the Java applet viewer and got the systems talking to each
other.

Other suggestions might be to look at the SVG file format and consider
writing out directly to that. You can open and edit SVG with inkscape,
try creating something that looks about right then examine the file in a
text editor. You could also write out an OpenDocument .odg file, but I
suspect that would be a bit more complex than .svg.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 849388

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55