Re: [Hampshire] Testing Hardware that got wet!

Author: Steve Kirk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Testing Hardware that got wet!
On Friday 25 January 2008 05:32:36 John Hunt wrote:
> > I'm not overly keen on plugging it in and seeing what happens to do
> > this testing, so any ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm no expert, but what I'd do (and it may well not be the best
> thing) is make sure everything is unplugged etc, make sure your CRT
> doesn't have any charge left in it (no idea how to do that - google?)
> open everything up and give it a good look over.
>
> I'd then let everything dry out for 24 hours, perhaps longer
> depending on how bad the situation looked. It is only water right? I
> find most electronics just work again if you let them dry out
> properly (like mobile phones for example).
>
> Stuff may have been damaged by the shorting, but I can't see how
> turning it on would make it any worse...but then I'm no expert
> remember! That's just what *I* would do.
>
> Hope that helped a bit?

Well it's been a week since I I found the problem, so I might risk
trying a few things today! Everything seems to be dry.

The CRT is an old Sun monster and seems pretty well built so I hope it
will be ok. I wonder if it is damaged, can it be fixed by a TV repair
man? Do TV repair men still even exist these days?

Cheers,
Steve
--
Hosted by the SDF Public Access UNIX System - est. 1987
== http://sdf.lonestar.org/ ==