[Hampshire] DVB distribution in the home

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] DVB distribution in the home
Aimless meanderings that should amuse anyone who looks at where this is being sent from...

I've been asked by my parents to look at putting together a new system for them for watching television. What they think they want at the moment is a centralised unit acting as PVR, DVB receiver, CCTV viewer (possibly IP CCTV) and VOD-type server (less certain about the last one), with set-top boxes acting as networked receivers around the house. I suspect that things like DAB will also be of interest if it can be added on for not much cost.

I thought there was a system by Snapgear that used to do this kind of thing, but all I can find is routers & the like. What would people suggest, preferably offering a fairly simple admin interface (I'll handle setup, but don't really want to get mired in day-to-day administration). I've had a look at MythTV and LinuxTV, anywhere else I ought to be looking?

Set top boxes are a nuisance too - working here, I can get any amount of interest from people thinking they can sell 1000s, but say you just want a couple and the're completely out of interest. Wondered about some of the mini-ITX systems as a possible solution; something with enough guts to handle HD decode.

TIA

Peter