Re: [Hampshire] Nokia to by Trolltech (Qt)

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Nokia to by Trolltech (Qt)
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 at 01:25:23PM -0000, Samuel Penn wrote:

> On Mon, January 28, 2008 11:59, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > Sun bought MySQL and now Nokia have just bought Trolltech. It's clear
> > that Nokia want the Qtopia environment and with Linux doing well on
> > small devices owning Trolltech and therefore having input makes sense
> > for Nokia.
> >
> > I don't know if it's good news that big companies are buying up little
> > ones. I just hope that Nokia don't mess with QT so that they break KDE..
>
> If the do, then the QT Foundation will probably vote to make
> Qt available under a BSD license and free it from the control
> of Trolltech/Nokia.
>
> http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php
>
> (though since it's GPL'd, it could always just be forked).

According to /. it looks like Nokia will become a key Patron of KDE.
Could it be that Nokia is abandoning their support for GNOME/GTK? or
perhaps they are keeping an eye on both? Now that they have a finger
in the GTK, QT and Symbian pies it does make you wonder what they
are up to?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The problem with cruel and unusual punishment is that you have to keep
being creative.  For example, some may call it cruel and unusual to turn
a spammer into spam, but by the time you feed the hundredth into the
woodchipper it's become quite usual.
    -- Anthony de Boer in the Monastery