[Hampshire] Problem running dpkg-reconfigure postfix

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Problem running dpkg-reconfigure postfix
I'm getting SMTP errors ((State 13): 554 Relay access denied) on a
server where I am trying to get postfix installed.

I've found a couple of places [1], [2] that give a sequence of instructions.

Unfortunately when I do the dpkg-reconfigure postfix step:
- a few questions in it asks me "Local address extension character? ";
- the default answer is already filled in as a plus character "+" ;
- but when I hit Enter to accept it I see the following

Bad recipient delimiter
The recipient delimiter is a single character, you entered too many
characters. Please try again.
"question will be asked"

Erasing the field and trying again makes no difference. Selecting
'Cancel' makes no difference either. The only way out is to kill the
dpkg-configure process from a separate terminal.

I guess there is an entry "somewhere" which has a bad character in it
... I have tried removing the line
recipient_delimiter = +
in /etc/postfix/main.cf (replacing it with just recipient_delimiter = )
but after a postfix reload the dpkg-reconfigure behaviour is just the same.

And I still don't know why the Relay access denied is happening ... if
I can get ov er the dpkg-reconfigure problem and it stil happens after
I get through the official config instructions then may have to come
back here...

Server is running Dapper 6.06 LTS, 2.6.15-29-386 fwiw.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/email-services.html
[2] http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06_p5