Re: [Hampshire] Problem running dpkg-reconfigure postfix

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Open Question to group on Linux Deployments
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Problem running dpkg-reconfigure postfix
Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???> wrote:
> I'm getting SMTP errors ((State 13): 554 Relay
> access denied) on a server where I am trying to
> get postfix installed.

> I guess there is an entry "somewhere" which has
> a bad character in it ... I have tried removing
> the line
> recipient_delimiter = +
> in /etc/postfix/main.cf (replacing it with just
> recipient_delimiter = ) but after a postfix
> reload the dpkg-reconfigure behaviour is just
> the same.

I can't help on the dpkg configuration - I always
select the "go away and let me do it by hand"
option.

However, I haven't set recipient_delimiter in any
of my Postfix configs. I don't think it's an SMTP
feature that's used much anymore.

> And I still don't know why the Relay access
> denied is happening

Where are you sending mail from when you're
getting that error, and who to?

Postfix has pretty strict controls on relaying. By
default, only clients covered by the mynetworks
parameter can send mail to arbitrary destinations.
Other clients can only send to hosts or domains
listed in mydestination or relay_domains.

The full details are here:
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.