Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Deb…

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Debian Etch box
On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:24:26PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> # iface eth0 inet static
> #       address 192.168.0.2
> #       netmask 255.255.255.0
> #       gateway 192.168.0.1
> #       dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

> Can anyone see what is wrong? All suggestions very gratefully received.

I've never seen dns-nameservers used in an interfaces file but otherwise
it looks fine.

I presume that that address isn't in use by anything else locally and
that you checked that all the pump or dhclient processes had gone away.

Are you doing:
ifdown eth0
$editor /etc/network/interfaces
ifup eth0
?

If you edit it first and then try to down the interface it's possible
that the DHCP client may still be running (pump or dhclient normally)
and breaking things for you.

When you say it doesn't work perhaps you can specify exactly what you
tried that doesn't work?

Simon.

--
oOoOo   "Do they teach lawyers to apologise, because you suck at   oOoOo
 oOoOo                  it?" -- Erin Brockovich.                  oOoOo