Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Deb…

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problems with /etc/network/interfaces on Debian Etch box
hantslug@??? wrote:
> I want all my boxen on static IPs. This has not heretofore been a problem.
> It still isn't on the rest of the network, but it is on my desktop. I have
> solved it for teh moment by using DHCP, but I would still prefer a static IP.
> (Easier for port-forwarding etc.)
>
> As the interfaces file stands (see below) it works fine. But if I comment out
> the fourth line and comment the following five lines back in, I cannot
> connect. So something is wrong. I have tried other files that have worked
> before for me or now for other people, all with no success. :-(
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> # iface eth0 inet static
> #       address 192.168.0.2
> #       netmask 255.255.255.0
> #       gateway 192.168.0.1
> #       dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100

> Can anyone see what is wrong? All suggestions very gratefully received.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

This is what one of my etch box's has if it helps

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
         address 192.168.0.81
         netmask 255.255.0.0
         network 192.168.0.0
         broadcast 192.168.255.255
         gateway 192.168.0.2
         # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
         dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
         dns-search portsmouth-college.ac.uk

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College