Re: [Hampshire] Is Lenny fairly stable?

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is Lenny fairly stable?
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:48:07 +0000
Brad Rogers <brad@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:51:48 +0000
> hantslug@??? wrote:
>
> Hello hantslug@???,
>
> > I know that some of you are using Debian Lenny. How near stable
> > is
>
> I use Lenny daily. Actually my sources.list has "testing", rather
> than "lenny" in it, so I never need change it. I've had no
> problems.
>
> > it? Is it in essence desk-top ready or is it still a case of
> > living
>
> Yes, it is.

I have testing on my laptop and it does get a fair share of updates
which is only to be expected if it is to become the new 'stable'
later this year. I tend to update this system weekly at best, so
having just booted it and done an <aptitude update> I find there are
36 packages to be upgraded. One of which, netcat, is held back.

Most of the upgrades seem to be related to the move to gcc.4*

Etch which I have on my server is 'boring' as it hasn't had a
package update for weeks

> > dangerously?
>
> No, that's what Sid is for. :-)

Nah! sid is mostly OK and I have been using it for several years on
my main desktop system without any serious breakages. But I don't use
cutting edge hardware, in fact it is all ancient by many peoples
standards.

Sid gets updated packages almost daily, 12 today, 13 yesterday, 8 the
day before. This is part of getting Lenny ready for release as
packages need to be in unstable for a few days before they can migate
to testing.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server