[Hampshire] Application installers

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Application installers
We're just about to take VFX Forth for Linux to Beta stage.
Coming from the Windows world, I'm fed up with the Linux
installers! The rpm and deb system is fine for distros and the
like, but hopelessly inadequate for third party apps. After
looking at what's available, I'm tempted by AutoPackage and
ZeroInstall. It appears that ZeroInstall has a Southampton
connection as the site http://0install.net is hosted by
Southampton University.

Does anyone have any experience with deploying software using
these packages?

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691