Re: [Hampshire] Application installers

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Application installers
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 at 06:25:53PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:14:06PM -0000, Stephen Pelc wrote:
> > We're just about to take VFX Forth for Linux to Beta stage.
> > Coming from the Windows world, I'm fed up with the Linux
> > installers! The rpm and deb system is fine for distros and the
> > like, but hopelessly inadequate for third party apps.
>
> Why, out of interest?

I must admit that 3rd party installers suck and the OS specific
way is by far the easiest and most painless way of getting
programs onto a box. If the .deb file is correctly built you
simply tell people where the repository is and it "just works". I
don't do rpm, but I believe that there are rpm ways of doing the
same.

This method works perfectly well for Opera and others for
distributing software.

If your code is open-source, then if you are cooperative you can
probably get it into some of the distro repositories, so you don't
have to do anything at all - which is probably the best solution
if you can manage it.

Messing about with tar balls that contain "runme.bin" files or
other such nonsense always gives me the willies, you have no idea
what kind of crap is in there, it's like going back to windows -
you have no idea if it's real/useful or some kind of malware.

Installing stuff like Java or Realplayer when it's not in a distro
specific format is always a pain and something I try to avoid.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Yes, I'm bitter and cynical. That does not make me wrong.
    -- anon