Re: [Hampshire] Is Lenny fairly stable?

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is Lenny fairly stable?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5851a100.hantslug.org.uk.12547': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Feb 16 18:12:40 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 497BD1F48AB6137F
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:21:46 +0000
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

Hello john,

> I have testing on my laptop and it does get a fair share of updates
> which is only to be expected if it is to become the new 'stable'

I don't see having updates as an issue, TBH.

> later this year. I tend to update this system weekly at best, so
> having just booted it and done an <aptitude update> I find there are
> 36 packages to be upgraded. One of which, netcat, is held back.

I can't recall the last package that had to be held back here. It was
a while ago, now.

> > No, that's what Sid is for. :-)
> Nah! sid is mostly OK and I have been using it for several years on

It is, I agree. However, things can break sometimes, and one needs to
be fairly well versed in all things Linux to be able to correct any
problems. Unless, that is, you have access to other people conversant
in the relevant areas. Without internet access, I though, would be
lost.

> my main desktop system without any serious breakages. But I don't use
> cutting edge hardware, in fact it is all ancient by many peoples
> standards.

As is mine. In fact, in six years, all I've had to do is add some more
memory.

--
 Regards  _

Where will you be when the bodies burn?