Re: [Hampshire] Debian packaging : shlibs.local?

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian packaging : shlibs.local?
On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 13:42:17 -0000 (-0000), Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I'm still struggling with .debs :-)
>
> When converting an RPM with alien, I get a dependency line in
> debian/control :
>
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> ...Which is all very well.
>
> Unfortunately, this expands to the version of libc that the build box is
> running - which is different from the version required by the binary. As a
> result, people can't install my .debs :-(

Yep - that's expected behaviour. Or rather, it should be the shlibs
file that libc6-dev on that box provides. I believe newer dpkg-dev
tools are doing something more complex now so that they can tell if
the symbols have changed.

> What I'd like to do is to override the version requirement of libc - but
> without manually building the dependency list in debian/control. It looks
> like debian/shlibs.local ought to be the way to do this - but I can't
> figure out how :-)

Possible, I'm not really sure I'm afraid. "man dpkg-shlibdeps" is
going to have the most info if you havn't found it.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org