[Hampshire] Music formats

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Music formats

Hi all,

I've currently got most of my music in Ogg Vorbis format, which is
all nicely tagged, and working fine in Amarok and on my iAudio.
However, it needs to be re-ripped, since the quality isn't high
enough.

I've decided I'd like to rip everything this time around in a nice
lossless format, so I can transcode to other formats (and whatever
quality) as required. Does anyone have any suggestions on what
format to use, and how to transcode them?

WAV is nice and simple, but doesn't store any meta data. I started
doing this, but I have to create text files with the metadata in,
and parse those when creating Vorbis or MP3 tracks, otherwise the
end result has no meta data.

FLAC seems to store meta data, which saves me a lot of effort.
However, my initial attempts to transcode to MP3[1] (I haven't tried
Vorbis yet) give me a file with no meta data. This is with ffmpeg.

Any other suggestions? Anyone successfully converted files from
FLAC to other formats and managed to preserve the meta data?

[1] The immediate issue I'm trying to solve is streaming it to my
    PS3 via MediaTomb (which can't read the vorbis comments from
    my Vorbis files), hence the use of MP3.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???