Re: [Hampshire] Music formats

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Music formats
On Tuesday 26 Feb 2008, Samuel Penn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> WAV is nice and simple, but doesn't store any meta data. I started
> doing this, but I have to create text files with the metadata in,
> and parse those when creating Vorbis or MP3 tracks, otherwise the
> end result has no meta data.

Other than the fact that's now music comes off a CD player I'd not bother with
WAV for much, I don't think it's very smart, and I'd covert to FLAC as you
suggest straight away.

> FLAC seems to store meta data, which saves me a lot of effort.
> However, my initial attempts to transcode to MP3[1] (I haven't tried
> Vorbis yet) give me a file with no meta data. This is with ffmpeg.

FLAC in ogg files would be my first guess, and if you need it a lossless
format you should be able to transcode to anything - Ogg vorbis preferred -
without a problem. Having said that I've not tried myself, so I don't know if
it preserves the various meta-data associated with the file.

Are you using GUI tool or the command line to drive the transcoding tool? What
options did you use?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux users hate mixed case names, yet Linux supports it.
Windows users love mixed case names, but Windows doesn't support it.
    -- Andrew Tridgell