Re: [Hampshire] Music formats

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Music formats
On Tuesday 26 February 2008 21:13:21 Adam Trickett wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 Feb 2008, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > FLAC seems to store meta data, which saves me a lot of effort.
> > However, my initial attempts to transcode to MP3[1] (I haven't tried
> > Vorbis yet) give me a file with no meta data. This is with ffmpeg.
>
> FLAC in ogg files would be my first guess, and if you need it a lossless
> format you should be able to transcode to anything - Ogg vorbis preferred -
> without a problem. Having said that I've not tried myself, so I don't know
> if it preserves the various meta-data associated with the file.

> Are you using GUI tool or the command line to drive the transcoding tool?
> What options did you use?

Command line. I just did:

ffmpeg -i test.flac test.mp3

I'm not sure how to check what the meta data in a flac is from the
command line (Amarok seems to read the data okay, so it seems to
be in the original flac). id3info doesn't find anything in the mp3
or ogg files created (and neither does vorbiscomment).

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???