[Hampshire] [OT] Clamav windows errors

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Clamav windows errors
my daughter has emailed me asking for advice, she said

I've run a full scan of the C drive with the virus checker. It's come
up with the following report. Not sure if I need to do anything? Does
it remove problem files automatically?

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\ntkrnlpa.exe: Trojan.Patched-1
FOUND
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\ntoskrnl.exe: Trojan.Patched-3
FOUND
C:\WINDOWS\i386\NTOSKRNL.EX_: Trojan.Patched-3 FOUND

she is running XP Home on a Vaio laptop. I fully updated XP to SP2
etc, enabled the built in 'firewall' thingy and installed spybot &
clamav on it for her before I gave her the laptop. I didn't do a full
clamav scan although I did run 'Spybot - Search & Destroy'

The updates to XP etc were done on my home network which has a
D-Link DSL-504T adsl modem/router with firewall enabled.

Since I know practically nothing about windows I can't advise her
what those files are and if they need to be removed.

She is connected to the internet via an adsl Netgear wireless router
(model unknown at present) which I assume has a built in firewall but
cannot be sure as I didn't set it up, she managed that herself once
her BT line had been enabled.

She is going into hospital in the morning for a minor op so will be
out of contact for a couple of days but it will be good if I can find
out something for when she gets home.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server