Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Gibbins" <sean@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:05 AM

> Rob Malpass wrote:
>> Morning all
>>
>> Can anyone think of a reason why I'm getting disk errors when doing an
>> install to a virtual machine when using the same install media I don't
>> get errors doing a standard install (without virtualisation)? It
>> beats me - but I'm still learning with VirtualBox. I've googled a
>> few variations of VirtualBox+Slackware but not found anything.
>
> Have you mounted the cdrom at the Virtualbox admin console for that
> instance?
>
> Still catches me out from time to time.
>
> Sean

Yes - it's quite a bizarre error. The Slack installer's never been as user
friendly as others (notably Ubuntu IMHO) so your first step is to fdisk the
partitions, then format them and then install the software. Bear in mind
that all of this comes off a ramdisk that the Slack CD sets up for you.
The disk error actually comes during the package installation section of the
install. As I say, I used exactly the same disk to do a simple install
i.e. wipe an old machine's hdd (no virtualisation) and it works fine - so
there's no error on the install media.

Cheers
Rob