Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox Networking

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox Networking
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:03:44 -0000
"Rob Malpass" <rd.malpass@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> If someone's got 5 spare minutes and an Ubuntu box, could you do me
> a favour please?
>
> I'm trying to arrange for several VMs to be able to see each other
> which apparently requires the creation of a network bridge. This
> is so easy in XP it's almost untrue but in Ubuntu, I'm a bit
> lost.

Those docs Hugo recommended me to read* told me to <aptitude install
bridge-utils> then edit /etc/network/interfaces so it reads

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0

the original entries for eth0 not being used
(or in my case eth1)

then restart networking

the manual goes on to talk about creating permanent host interfaces
called vbox* and also about using User Mode utilities to create TAP
interfaces.

*UserManual.pdf from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I have only done the first part of the above and don't know if this
does what you want but it hasn't affected my ability to browse the
web

the manual says it will work with Ubuntu as well ;-(

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server