Re: [Hampshire] Website Compatibility

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Website Compatibility
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 at 11:58:22AM +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> A friend has just been informed from a "help" desk that she cannot make an
> on-line booking because the website is "only compatible" (sic) with Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Can this be true? How?

Sadly yes. Many intranet sites and some internet sites are so
badly constructed that they don't actually work unless you have a
specific browser and verision thereof (often but not always IE).
Most of the time when you hear this it's just lazy design/sloppy
coding, if you get your browser to lie about it's identity it works fine.

The pension provider that my company selected provides an IE only
web site and I can't access any paper-free services without being
forced to use Windows/IE. I have complained but say that as IE is
free what am I complaining about...?

I'm not aware of any test case prvoing the legality of such a
practice...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
    -- John Lennon