Re: [Hampshire] iPod Nano and Ubuntu

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] iPod Nano and Ubuntu

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:59:36 +0100, "Imran Chaudhry" <ichaudhry@???>
wrote:
> So I'm looking for a recommended iTunes alternative in Ubuntu from you
> guys in a wisdom-of-crowds sort of way :-)

I have a first gen iPod Nano. I have used gtkpod with it very successfully.
I chose it because it was the only package available which supported
writing to be device at the time. I understand that other packages can now
write to iPods. I have never used it with iTunes but then again I have
never had any warnings about corrupting the database and the player has
always worked well.

I have also installed Rockbox on my iPod and have been using it for the
last couple of weeks. It doesn't use the ipod database but maintains its
own. It also plays back more formats.

I'm afraid I won't have much time on Saturday to chat about it, but perhaps
we can grab 5 minutes.

Tony