[Hampshire] Re: iPod Nano and Ubuntu

Author: Owain Clarke
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: iPod Nano and Ubuntu

> Hello LUGites,
>
> Some weeks back in reply to the "Most Thankful for.." thread I
> mentioned that one of the only reasons I boot into Windows XP is to
> sync my iPod Nano now and again to suck up the latest podcasts.
>
> I had one or two replies saying that syncing/ipod integration is
> pretty well catered for in Ubuntu Linux. The last time I looked though
> there were 3 or 4 choices of iPod software available and some of them
> scared me with remarks about "changing the firmware or database such
> that the iPod will not work with iTunes anymore".
>
> So I'm looking for a recommended iTunes alternative in Ubuntu from you
> guys in a wisdom-of-crowds sort of way :-)
>
> Regards,
> Imran

I had various problems with Banshee and Rhythmbox, but since I've been
using Amarok everything works really well - I keep 2 ipods updated with
it. It's got good podcast integration, and it links in with Magnatune,
a website / record label with a good attitude to downloading and so on.

Incidentally, I nearly got caught trying to charge an iPod on a Windows
computer - it tried to update the firmware without asking me.

Owain Clarke