Re: [Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:22:21 +0100
Dave Walker <davewalker@???> wrote:

> john lewis wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Having looked at commercial web hosting I realise the cost is way
> > beyond my means so can anyone suggest/offer an alternative
> > please?
> >
> <SNIP>
>
> Hi John,
>
> Have you considered Dreamhost[0] shared hosting, they provide silly
> amounts of bandwidth(5TB per month) and storage (500Gb), which
> raises weekly - using the discount code MAX97 gets you an
> additional $97 USD from the stated price.
>
> If you can pay a year upfront:
> $119.40 - $97 = $22.40 ~= £11.22
>
> This includes ssh access, mail server, mysql.

The problem with this sort of hosting is that it would give me much
I don't need (mailserver, mysql, etc) but not the ability to
install software. I came to the conclusion that what I really need
is a virtual linux system but they are expensive so far as I can
tell by googling

> (I am not affiliated with dreamhost)
>
> Alternatively, if you were to move to geneanet - could you not set a
> 301/302 redirect from your existing domain? I'm sure there are
> lots of people who would be happy to host the domain purely for
> redirection purposes (I am one of those).

It isn't just the geneweb data, my website* has a picture gallery and
a page of links to websites related to the main purpose of the site.
I realise that of these only the gallery is a problem, the rest are
just simple html pages. Some of the links mentioned above are there
because I have been given permission by the owners of the sites
to use their data in my database on conditional on me providing a
link to the original data.

Even the gallery2 software could be replaced by use of an html based
picture gallery I think.

*http://startx.co.uk/Kingsclere

I know regular users tend to bypass that URL and go direct to
the geneweb page containing the surname of interest eg
http://startx.co.uk:2317/Kingsclere?m=NG&n=Lewis&t=N
(you won't find me there cos' I'm hidden from public view as I am
still alive)

So it isn't a simple matter of just re-directing the startx domain
I'm afraid.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server