Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 at 10:59:23AM +0100, Cayenne-uk wrote:
>> Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it looks like the water is
>> starting to pour through the floodgates opened by Asus! I'll look forward to
>> seeing reviews on this one.
>>
>> http://www.computershopper.co.uk/news/185691
>
> I spotted in on El Reg. I believe that there are more in the pipe
> from a variety of firms. Even if only 1/3rd run Linux thats a
> massive increase in the Linux desktop market...

...and some that increase has already happened, with half a million
eeePC sold so far and XP only now starting to appear on the retail scene
and then mostly in the far east. Yes, I know some people have loaded XP
on the eeePC themselves, but even so, the guestimate that somewhere
around 300k of them still run Linux based on the number of posts at
forums.eeepc.com

Linux on the ULPC completely blindsided MS (and most of the industry and
the jurnos)

--
People choose Microsoft Windows for their PC in the same manner
that the citizens of Soviet Russia elected the General Secretary