Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc
Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 at 10:59:23AM +0100, Cayenne-uk wrote:
>
>> Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it looks like the water is
>> starting to pour through the floodgates opened by Asus! I'll look forward to
>> seeing reviews on this one.
>>
>> http://www.computershopper.co.uk/news/185691
>>

> I spotted in on El Reg. I believe that there are more in the pipe
> from a variety of firms. Even if only 1/3rd run Linux thats a
> massive increase in the Linux desktop market...

Indeed, green computing is the hot thing (oops - poor choice of words
there!) at the moment:

http://tinyurl.com/6ykfbb

Apparently there is a pre-built version (as opposed to barebones one)
available with Linux pre-installed in the US for $199, although I have
not seen them here. With a selection of low-end components added in to
the barebones system here [1] I got a system together for £200.

Sean

[1] http://www.icubes.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=SHI00027