Re: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:43:16 +0100
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

>    So, in summary:

>  - There's a fairly high incidence of "infant mortality": new (<3
>    months old) drives fail more often than older ones.

so with two brand new drives in vlad should you be worried :-(

How to overcome this problem is the next question, should we put new
drives into a 'test bed' and drive them for 3 months to get the poor
infant over the teething problems before using them in a 'real'
system.

My problems are likely to arise from disks being the other end of
the spectrum, I don't have any disk bigger than 40Mb and they haven't
been available for ages so must be 'old'

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server