[Hampshire] [OT] XP Pro, IPP: troublesome users

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] XP Pro, IPP: troublesome users
Evening all.

I have a strange printing problem at two sites,
and with only two users...

The common factors are XP Pro clients on a Samba
domain, using IPP to talk to (mainly) CUPS-managed
printers. The print queues are raw, with clients
using the standard MS drivers in XP.

At one site, one user is unable to connect to the
printer, with XP reporting:
Printer not found on server, unable to connect
The same error is seen, no matter which client PC
is used. All other users on the domain can print
without problems, from any PC.

At Jamie's, a similar but slightly different
problem has arisen. Again, one particular user has
problems accessing printers by IPP. In this case,
CUPS queues result in this error from XP:
Access denied, unable to connect
Jamie's also has a Canon iR3025n, which is
accessed directly using IPP. That also doesn't
work for this one user, who sees the first error:
Printer not found on server, unable to connect
Once again, no other user has any problem with
printing.

At neither site does CUPS report errors. At
Jamie's, where I've done more work on the problem,
there seems to be little evidence of the client
actually accessing the CUPS server. If I use a web
browser whilst logged in as the affected user,
however, CUPS responds and I can print test pages.

At the first site, the server is a Debian etch
box, running CUPS 1.2.7-4etch3. At Jamie's, it's a
Debian sarge box with CUPS 1.123-10sarge1.

Any ideas for further investigation?

Thanks,
Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.