Re: [Hampshire] Re: Eee 900

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Eee 900
On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 01:01 +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> What really amazes me is that these machines which started as rock
> bottom price items are now considerably more expensive than a cheap
> laptop. Maybe it's just that you have to pay the extra to be allowed
> not to have Vista!

I'm very happy with my 701 (only 187 pounds at Heathrow - there *are*
benefits to being sent on business trips!) - initial family complaints
at there being yet more hardware lying around were assuaged when they
used it to play BBC radio "listen again" items while wandering around
the house. Startup time is only 42 seconds from cold, and it is able to
compile and run some networking simulators I wrote for work (it can send
and receive about 40,000 SMPP mesages per second on the Asus - not quite
the 80,000 that an HPUX box can do, but not bad).

I'm not sure I would have spent over 300 pounds on it, though, even with
more memory and screen area.

Simon