Re: [Hampshire] Re: Eee 900

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Eee 900
Peter Salisbury wrote:
> Interesting pricing when you see them next to each other. The two
> versions are the same price but XP gets 12G whereas the Linux version
> has 20G.

That was by design apparently. I read an article about it - I forget
where - where an Asus boss explained the rationale. I seem to recall was
to do with rewarding the core users and encouraging that usage, as well
as offsetting the cost of the XP license of course.

> What really amazes me is that these machines which started as rock
> bottom price items are now considerably more expensive than a cheap
> laptop. Maybe it's just that you have to pay the extra to be allowed
> not to have Vista!

Money well spent then!

;-)

The trouble with cheap laptops is the build quality, in our experience.
My wife's Dell i1300 is falling to pieces after two years and it's
rarely gone further than from the sofa to the armchair. It's also a bit
of a monster - I wouldn't like to port it about.

Still, point taken.

Sean