Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2008-05-01 22:13]:
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:40:54PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Without, and this is what started me down this road and what I'm trying
> > to get to. On my Debian boxes a standard user account can't get into
> > /var/log/exim4, but I'm presuming on a Ubuntu box you can otherwise
> > you'd have trouble administering it without either root or a sudo shell
>
> That makes no sense. You're _presuming_ that Ubuntu has a) no root, _and_ no
> "sudo shell" (by which I assume you mean 'a shell invoked under sudo')

Nope, I'm making no such assumption. I know that there is a root
account, but it is basically unused by design, and I know how to get a
shell with sudo. I am assuming that Ubuntu has ensured that the majority
of admin tasks can be performed as a standard user with the use of sudo
to run privileged applications. I've worked on the Ubuntu installs I
have (erm, had and will have again) without being forced into a root
shell, hence the assumption since on my Debian box I find the need of a
one. I've not had to repeatedly use sudo to get directory listings,
change directories or edit files so far, but it sounds like this is just
a case of luck! Clearly I need to build a couple of Ubuntu boxes to play
with before rebuilding my servers on Ubuntu.

<<snip>>
> Look at me ma! I got root on ubuntu!

No need for that, you're stranded on the Island of Conclusions! ;) [1]

> Would it have been easier in the long run to just _ask_ the question rather
> than rattle on with your Ubuntu hate, invoking the further Ubuntu hatred
> from those stuck in their respective debian muds. :(

I thought I had done, and contrary to popular belief there is no Ubuntu
hate. I'm on several Ubuntu mailing lists, have signed the pledge, sit
in the IRC channel and I publicly show Ubuntu on my Facebook profile -
and that's not in order to troll, it is because I can see the benefits
and want to take advantage of them.

However, unlike my switch from Red Hat to Debian, which was driven by
being fed up with the former and seeing major advantages in the latter,
I am not fed up with Debian and there are fewer advantages in Ubuntu -
though still enough to attract me. This more even balance between the
two means that the fact that I've not had such an easy transition makes
things harder - and more confusing because the similarities would
indicate there should be an easier transition!

> Less hate and assumption please.

Ditto :)

I think I'll call a halt to this thread since I've clearly been unable
to make myself clear. I shall return to Google, the Ubuntu website and
building some hardware to play with.

Once more for luck though...

*I don't hate Ubuntu, I want to use it*    :)

I'm just awkward though. Ubuntu is known for being an easy to use and
install distribution, but I've had more problems with installs than all
the rest (except perhaps Mandrake). With my first installs of Linux it
was generally accepted that you'd have trouble getting everything
working smoothly, however I had Caldera OpenLinux up and networking with
no problems and even when recompiling Red Hat to get token ring support
in the kernel I had no problems getting going. I think I just live in
topsy turvy land ;)

** end quote [Alan Pope]

[1] likely and obscure reference, but Google "The Phantom Tollbooth",
theres a Wikipedia page :)

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: