Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e56100.hantslug.org.uk.9802': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri May 2 00:13:04 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi John,

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 11:02:21PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008 21:57:40 +0100
> Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
>
> > Would it have been easier in the long run to just _ask_ the
> > question rather than rattle on with your Ubuntu hate, invoking the
> > further Ubuntu hatred from those stuck in their respective debian
> > muds. :(
>
> Come off it Alan, Paul wasn't have a hate thing against u*, he was
> actually trying to like it he said and was trying to find out why it
> is different

Well it was the most long-winded way to find out a very simple piece
of info that I have seen since I read the "BBC" thread on Surrey LUG
~10 hours ago. :)

> Now I may be different in my attitude since I cannot see the point of
> forking Debian into a slightly different distro, if Shutleworth
> wasn't happy with debian why didn't he work with debian instead of
> poaching debian maintainers for starters.

1. A lot of what Ubuntu has done would be impossible without
rewriting Debian's social contract. Since I suspect you believe
it *shouldn't have been done at all*, I think that it is better
for all concerned -- *especially* you -- that this did not take
place and they are in fact separate.

2. You can't poach people who work in their spare time; they work on
what they want to work on.

Cheers,
Andy