Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:40:54PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Without, and this is what started me down this road and what I'm trying
> to get to. On my Debian boxes a standard user account can't get into
> /var/log/exim4, but I'm presuming on a Ubuntu box you can otherwise
> you'd have trouble administering it without either root or a sudo shell

[..]
> Has Ubuntu created or modified groups in order to get sudo working the
> way they have it?

[I reordered that]

Whether you get to root (or root access to files) via sudo or via su
makes no difference to the log files though and you don't need to change
permissions on anything to get sudo working. They are separate
problems.

I think this is what has confused me in your question.

Noone has any trouble administering a box if they can't read
/var/log/exim4 as their user. Either they change it so they can or they
use su/sudo to get whatever information it is they're looking for.

> and I started thinking that there should be some reference
> documentation with a brief overview of the basics of the differences
> (clearly not everything in detail, but an executive summary if you'll
> excuse the term!).

This would be nice but I couldn't find anything obvious on a quick
google. Suggest it to Ubuntu?

Simon.

--
Just another wannabie | Deja Moo - the feeling you've  |  Just another fool