Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> john lewis wrote:
>
>> Now I may be different in my attitude since I cannot see the point of
>> forking Debian into a slightly different distro, if Shutleworth
>> wasn't happy with debian why didn't he work with debian instead of
>> poaching debian maintainers for starters.
>>

> Mark Shuttleworth and the wiser heads in the Ubuntu have always paid
> tribute to the work done by Debian as the foundation of Ubuntu. Most
> recently he did this on the Ubuntu UK podcast where he pays tribute to
> the work of Debian developers in constructing a system which allows for
> upgrades between (long term support) versions.

Much of human endeavour is achieved 'on the shoulders of giants' and I
really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Debian will continue to exist for as long as there is a demand for it
and people are free to make the choice about what operating system they
install on their PC.

Debian exists in a special place that forgives endless delays between
releases and long may it continue to do so. However, Mark Shuttleworth
took all that was good about Debian, demystified it and at the same time
strapped rockets to it, in my humble opinion. It's a shame about the
default paint job, certainly, but (a) it's customisable and, (b) you
can't everything in life.

Ubuntu is popular because it has built on Debian's foundation and
extended/improved certain aspects of its usability and functionality. If
that is not as true now as it was when Ubuntu was conceived then I
suspect it is at least in part due to the kick in the arse that Debian
received when it saw what could be done with it.

Had Mr Shuttleworth kidnapped the Debian maintainers at the point of a
gun or coerced them with threats to the children the poaching comment
might hold, but I am guessing that he didn't and that as such it is not
entirely fair. I suspect the truth is those esteemed Debian developers
saw an opportunity to take take the project further, or at least in a
direction that better suited them, and made an informed choice to do so.

I am fairly agnostic where OSs are concerned, and certainly when it
comes to this-or-that distro, but there is and must be room for
co-existence. Granted there must also be room for opinion and humour,
but let's not allow it to descend into bickering and sniping. I don't
think there is a mainstream distro out there that is utterly crap or
without some redeeming feature, so let's champion our personal
favourites while continuing to celebrate the overall /massive/
achievement that Linux (or GNU/Linux) represent - one of the most
complicated artefacts so far created by human endeavour, and largely
through co-operation and not without resistance from powerful foes!

(God, I don't know where that lot came from - I went to see Simon
Amstell last night and awoke this morning in a philosophical mood,
obviously!)

Sean