Re: [Hampshire] Error when updating Lenny

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Error when updating Lenny
On Tuesday 06 May 2008 21:16:48 Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 16:04:42 +0100 (+0100), Lisi wrote:
> > For some days now I have been getting the following error when I update
> > Lenny:
> >
> > <quote> E: Failed to fetch
> > http://debian.man.ac.uk/debian/pool/main/s/sqlite3/libsqlite3-0_3.5.8-1_i
> >386.deb: 404 Not Found </quote>
> >
> > I have been doing nothing about it, on the premises that it doesn't
> > appear to be inconveniencing me at all and that it is likely to be put
> > right sooner or later.
>
> That normally means that the package list (obtained by apt-get update)
> is out of sync with the current state of the mirror. Normally running
> apt-get update will fix it (i.e. perhaps find
> libsqlite3-0_3.5.9-1_i386.deb).

Yes, that was what I would expect. But I always update before safe-upgrading
and so far it hasn't.

> BTW, any particular reason to be running lenny?

Etch was starting to get a bit long in the tooth, and I had begun to think
that the next reinstall I did I would use Lenny. So when I installed a
distro on my shiny new HDD (an older one having been replaced without
question under guarantee by Western Digital :-) ), I installed Lenny and
tidied up my /home. The only major thing that has (temporarily) been broken
was CUPS, and that was very temporary and barely inconvenienced me. I have a
few problems with Sane - but I had those with Etch, and have so far not
tackled them.

But to answer your question, no, no particular reason. Pushing the boundaries
of my knowledge/experience?

I was really intending Lenny for my husband, who hates change and could have
had Lenny for longer than Etch. But I in the end installed PCLinuxOS 2007
for him, which my granddaughter loves. Peter doesn't, but dislikes the idea
of my touching it even more.

Lisi