[Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat
Hi all

[Sorry this is not at all Linux but it is reasonably topical and answers
from this list are usually faster and more reliable than googling...]

Does anyone know anything about Freesat?

I have one Sky dish which has 3 cables coming off it - 1 to my study which
I've never used and 2 going to the lounge which is happily driving my Sky+
box.

_Apparently_ if I buy a HD Freesat box from say Currys, I can connect it to
the spare cable in my study but the bloke at "Freeat from Sky" tells me I
won't get anything without a £20 card which I must buy from them. However
he was adamant you can't get HD over Freesat - which is at odds with
www.freesat.co.uk as I pointed out to him. He seemed to be saying
"Freesat from sky" is different to Freesat - but I presume this is because
the boxes that "Freesat from Sky" supply aren't HD ready rather than plug
said aerial into my own Humax box and it won't work. One of the things I
was buying it for was HD was and whether it was worth it - hence my
reluctance to proceed without all the facts

So in short, I want to buy this £150 HD Freesat box and use it with my
existing spare satellite connection which everyone seems to be fine with -
but if it can't get HD channels either now or in future - there seems
little
point.

Anyone know any more?

Cheers