Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Way OT] FreeSat
On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:42:18 +0100
"Rob Malpass" <lug@???> wrote:

> [Sorry this is not at all Linux but it is reasonably topical and
> answers from this list are usually faster and more reliable than
> googling...]
>
> Does anyone know anything about Freesat?

Me! me! me! - well a little bit ;)

I have just dumped Virgin in favour of freesat. I have a Technomate
TM-5600 CI USB plus a motorised dish and can 'see' 8 satellites. I'm
not sure about its HD capability though.

I use the Astra Sky satellite for viewing BBC/ITV and the Hotbird satellite
for Eurosport (UK) for viewing (currently) the Giro d'Italia

> I have one Sky dish which has 3 cables coming off it - 1 to my
> study which I've never used and 2 going to the lounge which is
> happily driving my Sky+ box.
>
> _Apparently_ if I buy a HD Freesat box from say Currys, I can
> connect it to the spare cable in my study but the bloke at "Freeat
> from Sky" tells me I won't get anything without a £20 card which I
> must buy from them.

There are two different systems FTA and FTV and it is for the
relatively few FTV channels you need the £20 sky 'Yellow House' card
I don't have one (yet) so don't know what extra channels this will
open up.

there is quite a lot of info here http://www.ftasat.co.uk/

>However he was adamant you can't get HD over
> Freesat - which is at odds with www.freesat.co.uk as I pointed out
> to him. He seemed to be saying "Freesat from sky" is different to
> Freesat - but I presume this is because the boxes that "Freesat
> from Sky" supply aren't HD ready rather than plug said aerial into
> my own Humax box and it won't work. One of the things I was
> buying it for was HD was and whether it was worth it - hence my
> reluctance to proceed without all the facts

> So in short, I want to buy this £150 HD Freesat box and use it
> with my existing spare satellite connection which everyone seems to
> be fine with - but if it can't get HD channels either now or in
> future - there seems little
> point.

Dunno ;-(

--
John Lewis
using Debian plus windowmaker for a clean desktop