Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Worthwhile screensaver
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> 2008/5/29 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:

>> I'd quite like to have my spare clock cycles do something more useful -

> For a machine not carrying out any server like tasks, I think a
> suspend to RAM screen saver is about the most useful. It will save the
> most power.

<pedant mode>

I wonder (conjecture and lay-physics) if that is completely true;
allocating a small % of unused CPU cycles and leaving the PC on
continuously compared with starting up and shutting down the machine on a
regular basis. HDD's may use more power in the few seconds it takes to
reach speed, as well as other fans, than simply being left running for 15
minutes. The heat exchange (entropy) sums may also be unfavorable as the
machine warms up then cools down more often. I've always believed that as
components expand and cool down they gradually weaken and degrade sooner
than if kept at a constant temperature improving the lifespan of the
machine therefore reducing the impact of manufacturing energy consumption
and of course the end-users pocket.

</pedant mode>

dlb

--