Re: [Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Paul Tansom wrote:

> Since I've been powering off my desktop machine fully over night, i.e.
> not using it to download, and not leaving it live at the wall, so
> completely dead, I've noticed that my wireless mouse eats batteries like
> nobodies business.

I can't speak for the mouse, but this is certainly an issue with mobile
'phones. If coverage is week or missing, they turn up the transmitter
power and the batteries last much less long.

The inverse of course is also true. If coverage is good, the 'phone
turns down the transmitter power, so _if_ mobile 'phones are a health
hazard, you're safer near a base-station because your 'phone radiates
less into your body.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.