[Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle
Just posted to another list I'm on, and finished off with this comment
that I've been meaning to raise here for a while:

Since I've been powering off my desktop machine fully over night, i.e.
not using it to download, and not leaving it live at the wall, so
completely dead, I've noticed that my wireless mouse eats batteries like
nobodies business. Has anyone else noticed this? I can only assume that
it is hunting for the base unit all night, and therefore using more
power. I've not noticed as much with the keyboard that uses the same
base, but the mouse is more battery hungry than the keyboard anway, but
at least a ratio of 4 to 1, in spite of using 2x AA instead of 2xAAA as
the keyboard does.

...and as an aside to that, there's a certain irony in the way I
referenced a post on this list in the same email. I seem to remember one
of the reasons for using Lurker was to allow searching and easier access
to the archives, as well as being easier to obfuscate emails to allow
public access. It is a bit backwards then that I dug around to the
Mailman archives to find the post I wanted to reference and then found
it in the public Lurker archive!! I did start to use Lurker for my own
local list archives, but although you can search it, you can't scan
through the archive easily by date or thread, or am I missing something?

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: