Re: [Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Power usage from a different angle
Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> Since I've been powering off my desktop machine
> fully over night, i.e. not using it to
> download, and not leaving it live at the wall,
> so completely dead, I've noticed that my
> wireless mouse eats batteries like nobodies
> business.

I have a Logitech MX-700 wireless mouse, which is
powered down at night. I haven't had problems with
the batteries - they're NiMH - but the mouse does
interpret loss of power as activity.

When the mouse is on the recharging stand, and the
power is on, the mouse switches off the LED and
sensor. As soon as you pick up the mouse, it
detects the loss of charging voltage and switches
the LED on.

However, turning off the mains power has the same
effect as picking up the mouse. It sees no
charging voltage, and assumes it's about to be
used. After a few seconds, the LED does go into a
low duty cycle sampling mode, but it will continue
looking for movement until the power returns.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.