Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox fr…

Author: Jim Nicholson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox from backup
2008/7/9 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
[snip]

Thanks, Hugo. But that just leaves me baffled. That was exactly what I
> originally thought - but when I tried to use the PID and PPID with kill to
> shut the wretched thing down it said that the PID did not exist. :-(
>
> I have just tried again, and again it said that there is no such process as
> the PID. If I kill just the PPID, it accepts the command, but nothing goes
> away.

Lisi,

The PID you are seeing is for the grep process that was processing the
output of ps. When ps exited it closed its output that was being piped to
ps. When ps got to the end of its input stream, it exited and you returned
to the shell prompt. Hence that grep process did not exist when you tried
to kill it.

HTH

Jim