Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox fr…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] restoring Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox from backup
On Wednesday 09 July 2008 20:46:03 Jim Nicholson wrote:
> 2008/7/9 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
> [snip]
>
> Thanks, Hugo. But that just leaves me baffled. That was exactly what I
>
> > originally thought - but when I tried to use the PID and PPID with kill
> > to shut the wretched thing down it said that the PID did not exist. :-(
> >
> > I have just tried again, and again it said that there is no such process
> > as the PID. If I kill just the PPID, it accepts the command, but nothing
> > goes away.
>
> Lisi,
>
> The PID you are seeing is for the grep process that was processing the
> output of ps. When ps exited it closed its output that was being piped to
> ps. When ps got to the end of its input stream, it exited and you returned
> to the shell prompt. Hence that grep process did not exist when you tried
> to kill it.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim

So please, Jim and Hugo -

_How_ do I get rid of this wretchedly persistent thunderbird? I am still
getting the same error message when I try to run Thunderbird as I was getting
way back in the thread:

<quote>
<quote> Thunderbird is already running but is not responding. To open a new
window you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or restart your
system. </quote>

I have tried:

#ps -Al

No sign of Thunderbird.

So I ended the session and started another. Still not sorted.

Restart system. Still not sorted.

Shut down. Wait. Start system. _Still_ not sorted.
</quote>

I tried putting in the grep because someone - Simon? - said to do so. Have we
come to the point where I uninstall, reinstall and tell Peter that he can't
have his old files?

Lisi