Re: [Hampshire] Zope

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Zope
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:09:19PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Has anyone installed Zope, particularly on Debian (or I guess perhaps
> Ubunut, although this box is currently Debian)? So far I'm considering
> that pulling hens teeth may be an easier way to pass the time!
>
> What I'm trying to do is take a look at IssueTrackerProduct, which
> requires Zope 2.x. There is a Zope2.9 package which I have installed,
> and that has pulled in zope-common, which appear on the face of things
> to have installed fine along with all dependencies.

Blimey, now you're testing me. I evaluated Zope 18 months ago and it
doesn't even remotely compare to Django, which I ended up using.

If I remember correctly you'll find a command call mkzopeinstance which
I think walks you through the process of setting up an instance. It
creates it in a strange place like

/var/lib/zope2.9/instances/<instance>/

Then you can use zopectl to start it, and from then on it's all
over-the-web - you'll need to install this IssueTracker product into your
Zope instance, then you create an instance of that object in your site.
Then you may have to wire up the site with ZPT or DTML.

Zope 3 is even more fail! Almost completely undocumented - apart from
the dead tree book - it's a textbook example of second-system effect
applied to a product that is essentially a failure in the real world.
It's written in Python but wishes it was written in Java.

> Anyhoo, just wondering whether anyone had any pearls of wisdom - I'd say
> perls but this is python ;)

Django.

Django. Django. Django. Django. Django. Django. Django. Django.

Bleh, just needed to get the taste of Zope out of my mouth.

Dan