Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Novatech laptops
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:24:42PM +0100, The Holy ettlz wrote:
> Paul,
>
> > Just wondering whether anyone had tried running Linux on any of the
> > current range of Novatech laptops. I'm half tempted, for convenience and
> > a disillusionment with branded models (well Dell really, but being tied
> > to a proprietary PSU connector, and the pitiful life, in terms of
> > recharges, of the batteries makes me consider a 'noname' may make sense).

I bought a Sorar last week and Ubuntu installs and runs nearly
flawlessly. So far I've only found two problems:

1. The mixer controls don't work quite right. I can't turn off the speakers
when I'm using headphones and the headphones mixer slider doesn't do
anything. And it's very quiet anyway.

2. Intel X3100 graphics (and as far as I know only that chipset) can't do
textured xv video at a watchable speed. By default the video comes out as
an overlay if you're using compiz. This is a non-issue if you're not using
a compositing wm, and it's not a big deal unless you specifically want
to show off real-time video in your task switcher to your geek friends.

Dan