Where to live ( was Re: [Hampshire] Meeting venue required)

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Where to live ( was Re: [Hampshire] Meeting venue required)
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.caren@???>
> wrote:
>> Also consider moving to somewhere like Bracknell
>> where house prices are much cheaper and trains
>> are a "hop and skip" to Reading.
>
> The University area in Reading isn't too bad to live in. There are
> some small blocks of flats and if you look well you can find some
> terraced houses in the Addington Road/New Town areas that are in good
> shape, both walking distance to town & uni. I've just moved to Reading
> (again), so if you want more info or agents details, let me know.

If you want cheaper housing with easy access to Reading, I'd try
Basingstoke, I live there and commuted to Reading regularly. The train
only takes 20 minutes or so, and being a small branch line you can take a
bike, even in the mornings (on the first great western trains, not the
virgin cross country ones).

Basingstoke is also on the M3, so easy commute down to Southampton or
north to places like fleet and farnborough (35min when I drive). And again
the station is on the main line into waterloo so there are plenty of fast
trains into London too.

Before I moved here I though "who'd want to live in basingstoke" but it is
a really nice place to live, with good shops and plenty of country side.
I'm certainly settled quite happily here.