Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Interactive Website

Author: Alan Bell
To: testermike, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Interactive Website
Setting up and securing a server will be a lot easier than supporting a
bunch of users with HTML editors. All you need is a static IP address
that you can point the DNS name to. On the router/firewall just open
port 80, (look for settings such as port forwarding, NAT, Virtual
server). On the server install a Linux that gets updates, Debian/Ubuntu
would be my preference but pretty much any actively maintained Linux
distro will do just fine. Install the very latest version of Wordpress
or Joomla! or Drupal or Wikimedia or whatever and *keep it updated*.
You can host a perfectly usable website for a smallish audience from the
wrong end of an ADSL line. Of course more bandwidth is always good and
sharing a server in a proper datacentre will be a bit faster. Images and
videos don't have to be hosted on the same server, you can use
Flickr/YouTube etc. for that.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55