Re: [Hampshire] [OT] All sorts of hardware issues

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] All sorts of hardware issues
Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cost effective solution to
> a "dirty" electricity supply? My
> father-in-law's PC (built by my own fair hand
> admittedly!) is having all sorts of hardware
> issues and I don't think it's my workmanship - I
> think it's the electricity supply at his house.

As Tony and Tim have suggested, a UPS may help. I
suspect it would have to be an on-line device,
though, where the equipment is always fed from the
battery. An off-line UPS may not provide
sufficient protection against voltage spikes.

> I'm thinking that a standard surge protector
> isn't good enough

Power electronics isn't my area, but I have read
that few retail surge protectors are able to
absorb enough energy to be useful.

> it's not power outages that are the problem - I
> suspect it's blowing components because (if we
> were to test the AC at his house on an
> oscilloscope) we wouldn't get a nice sine wave.

A good switched-mode PSU should be able to run off
nearly anything - triangle, square, sawtooth [1].
Some will even run off DC. It's voltage spikes
beyond the designed maximum that will cause
problems.

However, I wonder if protection is the wrong first
step. I'd suggest calling in a competent
electrician to inspect and test the house wiring.
It's also possible that there's a fault in the
local grid, but proving that may be tricky. I
believe there are instruments which log power
surges, but they're probably not something that
most electricians have.

Nick.

[1] I lived in Sheffield for a few years. Multiple
    arc furnaces do strange things to the mains
    waveform, even when they're hanging straight
    off the 230kV line.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.