Re: [Hampshire] Laser printers ?

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laser printers ?
On Sunday 17 August 2008 17:51:25 Philip Stubbs wrote:
> 2008/8/17 Russell Gadd <russ.mail.lists@???>:
> > I just bought a new colour cartridge for my HP Deskjet and then saw
> > someone in a discussion group say he'd had his laser printer a long time
> > and buys new toner once every few years. This set me thinking whether I
> > should switch to using a black and white laser as 99.9% of my printing is
> > black - my expensive colour cartridges usually dry up rather than run
> > out.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience / recommendation for a laser printer for
> > home use?
> >
> > I usually go through a box of 2500 A4 sheets around every 2-3 years.
>
> I bought a cheap Samsung ML1210 printer for £50 about 4/5 years ago. I
> have refilled the toner cartridge once. It probably needs a new drum
> now as it is getting a little faint. It has printed tones of stuff
> over the years, and 'just works' with Ubuntu.

Just back from holiday, so probably too late to be useful, but I have had a
similar experience. I paid around £49.00 for a Samsung ML1510 several years
ago. I have bought one replacement toner/drum unit. It is still going
strong on that second one, in spite of having had to print reams and reams
for a legal case I was involved in.

I have over the years conected it to various of the family's boxen using
several distros:

Libranet 3
Sarge
Lenny
Fedora
Kubuntu (? 7.10?)
PCLinuxOS 2007
PCLinuxOS Minime 2008

They have all at least worked almost out of the box (I had to go into CUPS and
say "yes, please" to its offer to install it on 5 of them). On 2 of them
(Lenny and Minime?) the printer installed immediately, and it was already
there when I went into CUPS to install it.

I have installed other Samsung printers on other distros for clients and have
never had any problems.

Am now crossing fingers in case I am tempting fate!

Hope this is not too late to help,
Lisi