Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 11:46:36AM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
>    Does anyone know if it's possible to uninstall all these k applications
>    that seem to have come as standard with Ubuntu 8.04 (for some reason I can
>    never remember the codename of these releases).- I'm sure they weren't
>    part of 7.04 as standard.

Did you by any chance install the kubuntu-desktop package on an Ubuntu
machine?

If so then what you have is the entire Ubuntu GNOME-based desktop and the
entire Kubuntu KDE-based desktop. This would be why you have a very populous
menu.

You can either remove the packages or edit the menu so you don't see them.
Obviously if you do that you'll still have them installed, disk space used,
and bandwidth used when they get updated.

>    Surely I don't need to synaptic them all one by one - is there a quicker
>    way - there seem to be umpteen of them e.g. kregexpeditor - whatever that
>    is!

There's probably an easy way using the dependancy list of the
kubuntu-desktop package in dselect or aptitude, but I dont know it off the
top of my head.

Cheers,
Al.