Re: [Hampshire] Currys Offer On Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netb…

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Currys Offer On Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netbook
Sean Gibbins wrote:

> The chap flogging it to us was not especially knowledgeable (he
> struggled with the basics), but then neither was he in any way negative
> about it.

Sounds about right.

> Well, I can't find much wrong with it so far, and what I have discovered
> falls under niggles rather than flaws. I'd have one in a jiffy, but then
> I'm not as rich as my kids, so I am going to have to wait.

He he:) The price may have dropped or the spec. upgraded by then. I'm
downloading Linpus lite live CD to try with a VIA EPIA 800 MHz Mini ITX
and a 500MHz VIA CPU and will compare the performance, look and feel with
normal Fedora on both CPU's and MS XP (a necessary work box). The OS has
been designed for very low power boxes. Linpus claim that Lite will run
smoothly and reliably on a 500MHz CPU. The download is slow, either the OS
has suddenly become popular and Linpus's servers and bandwidth can't cope
or the download service is low spec. I haven't found any decent mirrors.
I'll try the Live CD tomorrow.

--
Damian L Brasher
http://www.diap.org.uk - Quick and low-cost way to make an environment